Sunday 26 October 2014

Rainbow Sugar Cookies



I had an overwhelming urge to bake sugar cookies this week. I have been ill and a bit miserable and I just knew a baking session would cheer me up, and of course I was right! Any kind of cookies cheer me up...

Whereas I usually roll out my sugar cookie dough and use cookie cutters to make cute shaped cookies that I decorate with royal icing, I decided to try something a bit different, more in line with how I make chocolate chip cookies. I rolled the dough into balls and rolled them in sprinkles before baking so they spread into puffy, fat cookies. I think I still personally prefer them rolled, cut and iced these were definitely an experiment worth making. And how cute are they?!

They are soft and cakey filled with sprinkle-rainbow goodness. They are also soooooo easy and quick to make, they take zero effort so they are just a dream to make on a lazy sunday like today!




Ingredients: (makes approximately 24 mini biscuits)

250g plain flour
150g unsalted butter, softened
130g sugar
1 medium egg
1 heaped tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cornflour
120g sprinkles (70g to mix in, 50g to roll)

Method:

Cream the softened butter and the sugar together until pale and fluffy. Whisk in the egg and the vanilla until combined.

Sift the flour and cornflour into the bowl gradually.and mix together. Mix in the sprinkles. Once the flour and sprinkles are all incorporated tip out onto a floured work surface and knead for a few minutes until smooth. Wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 30mins to an hour.

Once the dough is chilled, preheat the oven to 180c and roll teaspoonfuls of dough into balls and roll gently in the left over sprinkles. Place on a sheet of baking paper and squash down slightly. Repeat to make all the cookies.



Bake for around 10-12 minutes until the edges have browned and the cookies are a light golden colour, be careful not to over bake.

Kept in an airtight container these cookies should stay fresh for a week.

These easy peasy cookies are a staple recipe for any biscuit lover or anyone who needs to satisfy a sweet tooth ASAP!!

Teri x



No comments:

Post a Comment