Monday 22 September 2014

Loaded Blondies

These are super blondies: packed with marshmallows, sprinkles and mini smarties, sweet and soft, chewy and decadent. Is this not everything you could want in a baked good?!



I have to apologise again for being slightly AWOL and inconsistent this week. It's not for lack of trying or time, that's for sure. I have been so bored this last week with nothing to do, I've been planning so many great ideas and doing some research into how to make my next few bakes perfect for you. But I realised I was seriously lacking in baking tools!! Not to mention my oven is completely crap and doesn't bake evenly at all as I discovered while baking my not-so-little-anymore sister a big batch of mini cupcakes to take with her when she moved into her university accommodation to start her first year of her nursing degree (because cupcakes so easily buy friends). I don't think I've ever burnt a cupcake, I was devastated!!

But anyway, back to these blondies. How much do you just want to stick your face into that bowl? Let's take a closer look...



Yuuuummyyy

Don't get me wrong, I love chocolate as much as the next person but sweets are my weakness. I love how colourful and sweet and sugary they are, you just can't beat it! So what better way to make use of all my favourite things than jamming them into a beautiful blondie? The recipe is a pretty standard one-bowl recipe (my favourite kind - less cleaning!!) and is perfect for adding anything you're craving into it - think chocolate chips, nuts, oreos, cinnamon-sugar?! It is soft and chewy but not particularly gooey which is just how I like them, nice and sweet and basically just the kind of recipe that leads you and your housemate to eating the whole plate before dinner... 


Before I get to the nitty gritty and share the recipe with you, I wanted to touch upon a point that is slightly bothering me. The batter of this blondie looks deliciously tempting, I'm sure you would agree, but the finished product was nowhere near as beautiful - the colours didn't come through and it just wasn't a gorgeous piece of food meaning it did not photograph well at all. You will probably be aware of the power of photography when it comes to food blogging, you probably found your way here by looking at a picture and liking the look of it so it really is essential. I wasn't going to share this recipe for that very reason but then I thought why shouldn't I? I started this blog to share recipes, not photographs and these blondies taste damn good!! This post undoubtedly won't generate as much interest as my other bakes that photographed well (these Twix cupcakes, for example, are my most popular by a mile) but I hope those of you that look past their slightly plain appearance enjoy these as much as we did. I just saw no point in not posting a recipe that needed no alteration just on the basis of appearance. They are absolutely delicious so I have no doubt I will bake them again (and add more smarties and sprinkles and re-shoot!).


They're not even as ugly as I just made out but I'm sure you see my point. But please give these little lovelies a chance, they will make you very happy indeed!

Ingredients:

300g plain flour, sifted
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
big pinch of salt
175g butter, softened (not melted)
150g light brown sugar
150g granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 tbsp vanilla extract
As many smarties, sprinkles and mini marshmallows as you want*

*I did a few handfuls of each, totally up to personal preference but I would definitely say more is best, I wish I'd added more.

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 180c and prepare a baking tin (I used 7x11) by lining with silver foil and giving it a slight overhang on the edges.

2. Beat the butter with a wooden spoon until it is soft and fluffy then add both sugars and cream together until fully combined and beat the mixture well for 2 or 2 minutes - this method as opposed to mixing the sugars with melted butter gives the blondie a cakey kind of texture. Beat in the eggs 1 at a time and stir in vanilla until incorporated. 
Next gradually fold in the flour, baking powder and salt The mixture should be thick and heavy and resemble the picture below.



3. Now is the time to go crazy adding all the goodies you want. Just throw them in and fold them into the mixture until distributed evenly through. Keep adding and mixing until you're happy with your batter. Now taste and taste away! Took way more will power than I care to admit to stop myself from eating the whole bowl raw for my dinner. Just wow.

4. Pour the mixture into the lined baking tray and smooth it out until the tray is evenly filled with the same thickness. Sprinkle over a few more smarties, marshmallows and sprinkes but be careful because while most of the marshmallows for me went toasty and gooey and wonderful, some did catch a bit where my oven was hotter at the back, so just keep an eye on this!



5. Bake the brownie for approximately 25 minutes or until golden brown on top and a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave the brownie to cool completely before cutting into squares then tuck in and enjoy!!

Would love to know your thoughts on food photography v actual recipe and what is more important for a food blog? Food bloggers and readers - tell me what you think!


Teri x

2 comments:

  1. They look lovely! Ah want them now x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you think so, was sooo disappointed with them at first! They didn't even last 24 hours though so couldnt have been that bad hehe xx

      Delete